1. Start by standing in first position with your feet turned out.
2. Extend your right leg to the side, keeping your toes pointed and your leg straight.
3. Slide your foot along the floor, keeping your toes pointed and your leg straight.
4. When you reach the end of your range of motion, hold the position for a few seconds.
5. Return your foot to first position and repeat the exercise with your left leg.
6. Repeat the exercise several times with each leg.
7. To increase the difficulty, try doing tendu with your feet in second or fourth position.